Saturday, August 29, 2009

Yet Another 50th!

Turning fifty years old has become one of the more popular things to do at our office. I think everyone saw how much fun it was when Jon hit the half century mark and decided to jump on board. I know I did! The latest and last for a few years in our office to hit this milestone, was Ted. This party actually happened a few months ago and I have probably forgotten some of the details, but here is what I remember. Ted is the producer of my radio programs and he also does training as well as a whole bunch of other things. He is a great guy with a wonderful wife and four kids. He also has a ...hmmm.....would I call it a hobby .....or a passion..... or something else entirely. Let's just say, he really likes fire engines. He has lots of models of Lego firemen and fire engines scattered around his office. So finding a theme for his party was easy! The hard part was trying to surprise the fourth person in about eighteen months. We decided to try a different tactic this time around. We didnt plan a party on his birthday. His wife planned a typical Dutch party which is an open house in their home. Those from the office who could stop by, did so to help keep up the illusion that this was THE party. A couple more days went by before we mostly surprised him with his party. One of our co-workers knows a fireman, so she arranged to borrow an actual fireman's uniform for Ted to wear during the festivities. All who had something red to wear, wore it that day. I made Ted a fire engine birthday cake from some patterns I had seen online. I had to make my own fondant and it was a bit soft, so some of the parts didn't come out exactly as I hoped, but it was a big hit and was delicious and we all enjoyed it immensely. And the no-taste red food coloring really is no-taste. I must admit I was afraid it wouldn't be. We had red balloons and Ted got several fire-themed gifts. We found the perfect thing in a small 'woonen" store in town. Home decor would be the closest translation. It was a lighter that looks like a small fire extinguisher. It was too cute and just perfect! We also had a song for Ted, because it wouldn't be a Dutch party without a song! We also played a fireman game where the participants had to fill their mouths with water from a bowl without using their hands, then run a short distance and spit the water out to try to extinguish a candle flame. It was a bit wet and messy, but lots of fun!

No comments: